Cassia Fistula Linn
Botanical Name: Cassia fistula Linn
Sanskrit Name: Aragvadha
Common Name: Golden shower
Family Name: Caesalpinioideae
Aragvadha is a Sanskrit word, means which eliminate the disease. Aragvadha (Cassia fistula Linn) is used as a medicine in Ayurveda, Siddha and unani system of medicine. In Ayurveda it is mainly indicated in Skin diseases and as a mild laxative in children.
Sanskrit Names: Chaturangula, Deergaphala, raja vraksha, Shampaka, Swarnabhushana
Names in Indian language:
- Hindi: Girimala
- Kannada:Kakkemara, kakke
- Malayalam: Kanikkonna, Vishu konna
- Tamil: Konnai
- Telugu: Rela
- Bengali: Sondal
- Marati: Bahava
- Panjabi: Amaltas
- Oriya: Sunari
- Gujarati: Garamala
Description: Moderate sized deciduous tree grows up to the height of 20 feet to 35 feet with straight trunk,
Bark: greenish grey when young, slight reddish and rough when old,
Leaves: alternate, 20 to 40 cm long pinnate, leaflets in 4 to 6 pairs, colour greenish, ovate with numerous nerves,
Flower: bright yellowish, 5 petals, 10 stemens, Lax pendulous racemes flowering season February to April
Fruits: cylindrical pod, up to 30 to 45cm long and 2 to 3cm in diameter, straight, brownish black in colour,
Seeds: flat, testa very hard, smooth, numerous, present between the pulp.
Distribution: Moderate sized deciduous tree, grows all over India and also used as Ornamental Plant .
Parts used: Fruit pulp, Bark, Leaves, root are used for medicinal purpose
Pharmacological action: Anti inflammatory, Antipyretic, Analgesic, Antiviral, Antibactrial, Anti fungal, Hepato protective, hypoglycemic and Anti oxidant.
- Leaves: Tannins, Rhein, glucoside and sennosides
- Stem bark: fistucacidin, pentahydoxyflavan, Tannins, rhein, barbaloin
- Pulp: Carbohydrate, proteins, leucine, arginine, phenylalanine, tryptophan and glutamic acid.
- Seed: Vermolic, sterculic, galactomannan.
Ayurveda Description about Aragvadha – Cassia Fistula:
Guna: Guru, Snigdha
Vishesha karma: Sramsana or mrudhu rechana
Dosha karma: Pittakaphahara
Roga karma: Jwara(Fever), hritroga(Cardiac complaints), gudaroga, udara, vrana, kusta(Skin diseases), raktadusti, Amavata, gandamala, krimi, udarashoola, prameha(Diabetes) and gulma.
- Charaka samhita: Kustaghna, virechana and kandughna ( Charaka Kalpa 8).
- Sushruta samhita: Aragvahdadi , Adhobhagahara and Shleshmasamshamana.
- Astagha hradayam: Aragvadhadi
- Bhavaprakasha nigantu
- Raja nigantu
- Dhanwantari nigantu
- For constipation: Fruit pulp separated from the pod 8 to 10grams along with hot water act as laxative.
- For Itching in dermatitis, scabis: Paste of the leaves applied externally.
- For throat infection, mouth ulcer: Gargle with decoction of Aragwdha bark.
Aragvdhadi kashayam, Aragvadharista, Maha Manjistadi kashayam, Aragvadhamahaatiktaka grrutam, Aragwadhamrutaadi Kashayam.